Saturday, February 12, 2011

Voodoo & Sprouts

Okay so I know the title of my post seems funny or weird or both for that matter, but its what came to my mind. 

Since Alex was born he has had some pretty severe digestion issues.  Unfortunately our Pediatrician, as nice and great as he may be, wasn't cutting it. The doctor had us switch to an expensive formula 2 different times and we were on 2 different types of formula, Milk based and Soy based.  Alex is now on Soy due to blood in his poo due to an allergy to milk.  Alex didn't improve much so we were given Zantac and that did NOTHING.  I went back to the doctor so they checked Alex's poo and it was fine and they gave me a stronger antacid called Prilosec.  This did marginally better than the Zantac and it was heck to give it to him.  
So I prayed hard and decided to ask a good friend about an Holistic doctor she sees in Denver (as my family jokingly says, the Voodoo Doctor...hahaha).  I decided that it was worth a shot.  We went a few days later and they determined he was underdeveloped in many areas of his digestional tract.  So they prescribed some Catnip tea to be taken with each meal.  Sounds odd but it worked and it worked well! Alex went from sleeping maybe 3 hours to sleeping 5 to 6 straight.  AWESOME!!!

Sadly though his body got used to the Catnip and we had to try different herbs like Catnip Fennel, Shark Cartilage, and Aloe Juice.  These have not come cheap but have significantly helped Alex and his eating, digesting, and sleeping issues. I am so grateful for a mother's intuition that has helped guide me through these very difficult times.   Alex however has remained happy, smiley, and such a trooper.  He is such a JOY!!!


In the midst of all this Aiden has gotten quite ill.  February is his annual sick time.  He hasn't been down and out sick since last February which I think is pretty GREAT!  Since he's been sick though he has been watching the channel Sprouts.  He LOVES this channel and so do I.  Its is full of wholesome cartoons and shows.  I am thankful for Sprouts for bringing him such happiness while he's been so sick. 


Alex chllin' in the swing!
3 months old!
The boys hanging out in the evening!
IN LOVE WITH ALL OF THEM







Aiden hid himself and fell asleep.
Thats what being sick does to a ball of energy
An Angel sleeping on my couch,
(sorry I couldn't rotate the pic)

4 comments:

Gabriella said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Alex's tummy issues, we went through something similar but more mild with Gabriella. I feel your pain, and your joy to have something to finally help! I'm glad to hear he's still happy as can be through it all.

kdbonacci said...

Wow, shark cartilage? Cool! I hope he develops soon! Hey, soon I will have 3 boys to love too!!!The time is ticking!!!

jeanette said...

I am soooooo glad the voodoo herbs are working! Bummer that it is so expensive, and that he has developed a tolerance for some of them. From the title of your post I was thinking that you were hving to give him sprouts, and I wondered at his facial expression when you put them in his mouth. But the station....I will have to check it out!

Natalie & Aaron said...

I'm so glad that his doing better. it's so hard when they don't sleep. I'll give you a call this week as I'm back in town and ready to chat. Hope he is still doing good.